Re: PostgreSQL and Cygwin as production database

From: "Steve Slatcher" <steve_slatcher(at)scientia(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and Cygwin as production database
Date: 2002-04-16 16:12:53
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

> Anyway, I wonder why one would run pgsql on MS W32 when GNU/Linux or
> BSD are simpler and run faster and more reliably with less hardware.

I am not sure how relevant it is to this forum, but because it has come up a
couple of times.... It is because there *may* be a requirement to run Windows
apps on the same machine. And because the staff supporting it are more
familiar with Windows (though the requirement for Cygwin is clearly a
negative here). Why use PostgreSQL? It is free, a proper multi-user DB,
and (unlike MySQL) implements SQL sufficiently well.

I am not saying all these are totally compelling arguments - but FWIW that is
the background for my question. My current feeling is that there probably
*are* better solutions than Cygwin/PostrgreSQL.

Steve