Re: OpenSSL 3.0.0 compatibility

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: OpenSSL 3.0.0 compatibility
Date: 2021-09-23 18:51:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 22 Sep 2021, at 10:06, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:

> Agreed, I will go ahead and prep backpatches for 318df8 and 72bbff4cd.

These commits are enough to keep 14 happy, and I intend to apply them tomorrow
after another round of testing and caffeine.

For the 13- backbranches we also need to backport 22e1943f1 ("pgcrypto: Check
for error return of px_cipher_decrypt()" by Peter E) in order to avoid
incorrect results for decrypt tests on disallowed ciphers. Does anyone have
any concerns about applying this to backbranches?

13 and older will, when compiled against OpenSSL 3.0.0, produce a fair amount
of compiler warnings on usage of depreceted functionality but there is really
anything we can do as suppressing that is beyond the scope of a backpatchable
fix IMHO.

--
Daniel Gustafsson https://vmware.com/