Re: Data Conversion

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: Bob Pawley <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Cc: Postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Data Conversion
Date: 2006-02-01 00:20:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Feb 1, 2006, at 9:02 , Bob Pawley wrote:

> 1 – creating a single table of data in the format of
> the users’ choice, then converting the data en masse as the user
> requests. Sort of like conversion-on-demand.

I've been thinking about a similar application recently, and leaning
towards your first option. A rough sketch of the schema that I've
been considering looks like this:

create table measurement_types
(
measurement_type text primary key
);

copy measurement_types (measurement_type) from stdin;
length
mass
temperature
\.

create table measurement_units
(
measurement_unit text primary key
, measurement_type text not null
references measurement_types (measurement_type)
);

copy measurement_units (measurement_type, measurement_unit) from stdin;
length in
length m
length miles
temperature F
temperature C
mass kg
\.

create table measurement_conversions
(
measurement_type text not null
, measurement_unit_from text not null
, measurement_unit_to text not null
, conversion_factor numeric not null
, unique (measurement_unit_from, measurement_unit_to)
, foreign key (measurement_type, measurement_unit_from)
references measurement_units (measurement_type, measurement_unit)
, foreign key (measurement_type, measurement_unit_to)
references measurement_units (measurement_type, measurement_unit)
);

-- Haven't thought through yet how to handle conversions in the other
direction. I'd rather not include, for example, F => C and C => F.
Also, do I need to include F => F?

create table data_records
(
measurement_id serial primary key
, measurement_unit text not null
references measurement_units (measurement_unit)
, measurement_value numeric not null

);

> 2 – creating tables for each format (for temperature
> that would be one Fahrenheit table and one Celsius table) and do
> the conversion as the data is entered.
This smacks of duplication of data, which relational databases are
meant to avoid.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com