Data Conversion

From: Bob Pawley <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: Postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Data Conversion
Date: 2006-02-01 00:02:15
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm looking for ideas on the direction I should take.

I'm constructing an engineering database. I want to include the capability of converting engineering data to different systems. For instance - Fahrenheit to Celsius, lbs/hr to gph to gpm and to liters per minute.

My thinking is bouncing between
1 - creating a single table of data in the format of the users' choice, then converting the data en masse as the user requests. Sort of like conversion-on-demand.

2 - creating tables for each format (for temperature that would be one Fahrenheit table and one Celsius table) and do the conversion as the data is entered.

Any thoughts on how best to accomplish this task with Postgresql would be appreciated. (I'm on Windows XP)

Bob Pawley