[RFC] Should "SHOW huge_pages" display the effective value "off" when the huge page is unavailable?

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [RFC] Should "SHOW huge_pages" display the effective value "off" when the huge page is unavailable?
Date: 2017-02-06 07:01:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello, all

Could you give me your opinions on whether the SHOW command should display the effective value or the specified value for huge_pages? During the review of "Supporting huge_pages on Windows", which is now shifted to CommitFest 2017-3, Magnus gave me a comment that the huge_page variable should retain the value "try" when the huge page is not available on the machine and the server falls back to huge_page=off. The Linux version does so.

I don't have a strong opinion on that, but I think a bit that it would be better to reflect the effective setting, i.e. SHOW displays huge_pages as off, not try. Otherwise, the user cannot know whether the huge page setting is effective.

One parameter that behaves similarly is wal_buffers. When wal_buffers is set to -1 (default), "SHOW wal_buffers" displays the actual size, not -1. But I didn't find any other parameters like this.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa