Re: Broken SSL tests in master

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Michael Paquier' <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com" <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Broken SSL tests in master
Date: 2016-11-25 05:11:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
> [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Andreas Karlsson
> On 11/24/2016 10:38 PM, Andreas Karlsson wrote:
> > To me it feels like the proper fix would be to make PQHost() return
> > the value of the host parameter rather than the hostaddr (maybe add a
> > new field in the pg_conn_host struct). But would be a behaviour change
> > which might break someones application. Thoughts?
>
> I have attached a proof of concept patch for this. Remaining work is
> investigating all the callers of PQhost() and see if any of them are
> negatively affected by this patch and cleaning up the code some.

I agree that pg_conn_host should have hostaddr in addition to host, and PQhost() return host when host is specified with/without hostaddr specified.

However, I wonder whether the hostaddr parameter should also accept multiple IP addresses. Currently, it accepts only one address as follows. I asked Robert and Mithun about this, but I forgot about that.

static bool
connectOptions2(PGconn *conn)
{
/*
* Allocate memory for details about each host to which we might possibly
* try to connect. If pghostaddr is set, we're only going to try to
* connect to that one particular address. If it's not, we'll use pghost,
* which may contain multiple, comma-separated names.
*/

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa