Re: [HACKERS] How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem?

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Josh berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Advocacy Group" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem?
Date: 2016-03-10 03:17:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

> From: pgsql-advocacy-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
> [mailto:pgsql-advocacy-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Joshua D. Drake
> MySQL is not a open source community project. It is an open source product,
> owned, and licensed by Oracle.

Yes, and that should be one of the reasons why MySQL can create a wide ecosystem -- they have money, human resources, know-how/experience, and strong motivation to expand the ecosystem for business. So the questions to ask here may be:

* Are you satisfied with the current breadth of the PostgreSQL ecosystem? (I assume/hope "no" or "I don't know. First it needs to be revealed")

* Do you want to expand the ecosystem yourself or appreciate it if someone could do that?

* Does the current PostgreSQL community have the resources and know-how to expand the ecosystem? Is any kind of assistance necessary from external organizations like Linux Foundation and PGECons?

> We are an open source community. We should be focussing on what we do best,
> delivering PostgreSQL to the community.

Yes, and thanks to many great efforts, PostgreSQL is what is today. And to shed more light on PostgreSQL and have it adopted by more users, I think it's necessary to make PostgreSQL more interoperable with their existing assets.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa