Re: pgadmin3 stops working when trying to access/show

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>, <christian(dot)bahls(at)stud(dot)uni-rostock(dot)de>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgadmin3 stops working when trying to access/show
Date: 2003-07-23 16:14:22
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

I did send email about it on Thu 17/07/2003 13:11, Subject:
"[pgadmin-hackers] Editgrid text input bug" nut I guess it got
overlooked in the other content. I only remembered about it myself when
I saw Christian's message.

> Certainly it works on XP, as it does on W2K, and my SuSE 8.2 (2.4.20)
> has no problem either. One common thing is that the
> non-working systems
> use libpq from 7.3.3, maybe that's the problem. I'll be checking now
> with 7.4, before I try to ssh/X to snake. I tried snake's
> libpq.a on my
> system, but got unresolved externals.
> Haven't run ssh/X so far, can you give me a short how-to? My
> f/w already
> maps port22 statically. If I didn't need ssh, I'd EXPORT
> DISPLAY=... and
> run.

I cannot test from here for firewall reasons, but basically (iirc):

1) On your local PC, add /etc/X0.hosts containing the IP address
80.176.1.58
2) ssh to snake and do $ export DISPLAY=myhost:0
3) Fire up X on your PC.
4) Run pgAdmin on snake.

I do not run X through ssh (there's little point, even if someone
evesdrops (which is *very* difficult) there is not exactly anything
secret being transferred. Also, I run X from Cygwin on my laptop - on
Linux you might use xhost instead of the /etc/X0.hosts file.

Don;t forget to open/forward the X port on your firewall!!

Regards, Dave.