Re: comparing database schema's

From: "Vincent Hikida" <vhikida(at)inreach(dot)com>
To: "John Harrold" <jmh17(at)pitt(dot)edu>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: comparing database schema's
Date: 2003-07-22 19:54:08
Lists: pgsql-general

I wrote a utility once at a company where I worked previously that did this.
It did compared the meta data tables of the the two schemas. This was in
Oracle though. I think it took me less than a week to do. It might be a nice
utility to build for postgres.

It started with code as

SELECT TABLE_NAME
FROM USER_TABLES
MINUS
SELECT TABLE_NAME
FROM USER_TABLES(at)XYZ
/
And vice versa.

It then compared columns of common tables, the characteristics of the
columns, the indexes etc and used PL/SQL.

Vincent Hikida,
Member of Technical Staff - Urbana Software, Inc.
"A Personalized Learning Experience"

www.UrbanaSoft.com