Re: Invalid length of startup packet

From: "Henrik Steffen" <steffen(at)city-map(dot)de>
To: "Ron Snyder" <snyder(at)roguewave(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresl(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Invalid length of startup packet
Date: 2002-05-28 07:05:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear Ron,

thanks for your answer. This is what happens if I telnet or portscan, too.

The thing is, that noone is actually telnetting or portscanning in. The
server
is located inside the DMZ of a firewall. There is only one webserver which
is allowed
to connect. This server is located inside the same DMZ. This can't be the
reason.

On the Webserver the Pg.pm perl-module is used to connect to the DB-Server.
This seems to be the origin of the error messages because this is the only
process
which is allowed to connect.

If I run the same perl-scripts from the command prompt theres is no problem.
But using
Apache 1.3.24 with latest mod_perl the error message in /var/log/messages is
generated.

This is really weird.

I upgraded to the latest postgresql-rpm yesterday on both the Webserver and
the Db-Server,
this didn't change anything.

Additionally, the error is non-fatal: The connection is not dropped. Anyway,
the message
has got to have some reason, hasn't it?

Any comments?

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Henrik Steffen
Geschäftsführer

top concepts Internetmarketing GmbH
Am Steinkamp 7 - D-21684 Stade - Germany
http://www.topconcepts.com Tel. +49 4141 991230
mail: steffen(at)topconcepts(dot)com Fax. +49 4141 991233
24h-Support Hotline: +49 1908 34697 (EUR 1.86/Min,topc)
System-Partner gesucht: http://www.franchise.city-map.de
Handelsregister: AG Stade HRB 5811 - UstId: DE 213645563