Re: Re: Functions returning sets

From: "Joe Conway" <joe(at)conway-family(dot)com>
To: "'mlw'" <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: "Hackers List" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Functions returning sets
Date: 2001-05-19 23:38:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I see Tom Lane implemented the SQL92 feature of using subselects in
> FROM clauses:
>
> CREATE TABLE foo (
> key integer not null,
> value text);
>
> SELECT * FROM (SELECT * FROM foo) AS bar
> WHERE bar.key = 1;
>
> Perhaps this is how functions returning sets should operate:
>
> SELECT titles.* FROM titles, (SELECT funct_set('blah blah')) AS bar
> WHERE titles.title = bar.title;

This is exactly what I was thinking. To take it one step further, then you
could define a view as:

CREATE VIEW vw_funct_set as (SELECT funct_set('blah blah'));

Then the statement above might look like:

SELECT titles.* FROM titles, vw_funct_set AS bar WHERE titles.title =
bar.title;

IMHO this seems the most natural way to do what you have proposed.

-- Joe