RE: Re: Functions returning sets

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: "'mlw'" <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Re: Functions returning sets
Date: 2001-05-19 22:41:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I see Tom Lane implemented the SQL92 feature of using subselects in
FROM clauses:

CREATE TABLE foo (
key integer not null,
value text);

SELECT * FROM (SELECT * FROM foo) AS bar
WHERE bar.key = 1;

Perhaps this is how functions returning sets should operate:

SELECT titles.* FROM titles, (SELECT funct_set('blah blah')) AS bar
WHERE titles.title = bar.title;

FWIW,

Mike Mascari
mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com