Problems with local alphabet

From: "Nikola Milutinovic" <Nikola(dot)Milutinovic(at)ev(dot)co(dot)yu>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problems with local alphabet
Date: 2001-11-01 11:26:48
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi.

I have PostgreSQL 7.1.3 and the latest JDBC driver installed. PostgreSQL has Unicode support built in.

I have loaded a table with some text data containing "enhanced" ASCII encoded as Windows CP-1250. A bad move, I guess, but that is what I had...

JDBC yields "?" in place of any of our local alphabet characters. I understand Java uses Unicode and that is fine. I guess data must be Unicode encoded or no-go occurs. I have been told that there are "Latin-2 (ISO-8859-2) <-> Unicode" conversion functions, but cannot find them.

My plan is to convert cp-1250 to ISO-8859-2 and then to Unicode.

Can someone help me with this task? Some advice, at least.

Nix.