Determine data type of columns

From: "Bryan White" <bryan(at)arcamax(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Determine data type of columns
Date: 1998-11-10 21:21:26
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I have a general purpose utilty for entering data into web based forms. The
function that parses the data and inserts the record into a table is largely
unaware of the structure of the table it is operating on. I am currenly
having problems with integer fields. If I blindly quote all fields the back
end will complain about casting on integer fields. Also I would like to do
some primitive field validation based on type before submitting to the back
end.

This brings me to my question. The PQftype function returns an OID but I
don't see any documentation on how to interpret it. Are the values constant
for the built in types (specifically int4, text, and date)?
Do I have to execute another query to determine the actual type?
Is there a way to encode the values in an insert/update statement such that
they will be quietly converted to the proper type on the backend?

I am using 6.3.2 but will be upgrading to 6.4 shortly. Will that make this
any easier?

Bryan White
ArcaMax Inc.
Yorktown VA