Re: Problem w/ dumping huge table and no disk space

From: "Joe Conway" <joseph(dot)conway(at)home(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Gould" <andrewgould(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "David Ford" <david(at)blue-labs(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem w/ dumping huge table and no disk space
Date: 2001-09-07 22:23:20
Lists: pgsql-general

> Have you tried dumping individual tables separately
> until it's all done?
>
> I've never used to -Z option, so I can't compare its
> compression to piping a pg_dump through gzip.
> However, this is how I've been doing it:
>
> pg_dump db_name | gzip -c > db_name.gz
>
> I have a 2.2 Gb database that gets dumped/compressed
> to a 235 Mb file.
>
> Andrew

Another idea which you might try is run pg_dumpall from a different host
(with ample space) using the -h and -U options.

HTH,

Joe

Usage:
pg_dumpall [ options... ]

-c, --clean Clean (drop) schema prior to create
-g, --globals-only Only dump global objects, no databases
-h, --host=HOSTNAME Server host name
-p, --port=PORT Server port number
-U, --username=NAME Connect as specified database user
-W, --password Force password prompts (should happen
automatically)
Any extra options will be passed to pg_dump. The dump will be written
to the standard output.