Re: Re: BeOS and IPC - try 999

From: "David Reid" <dreid(at)jetnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "pgsql-patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: BeOS and IPC - try 999
Date: 2000-06-16 21:23:20
Lists: pgsql-patches

> etc. That way there's essentially zero maintenance overhead for both the
> Unix and the Beos factions. And you'd be doing yourself and the world a
> big favour when you're trying to port the next IPC heavy program.

OK. I've ported about 10 apps to BeOS and have done a lot of work on code
for multi-platform interfaces and most have had IPC of some description or
other - none have required writing an IPC emulation library!!! Why do you
think it'll be zero maintenance? Sorry that argument goes way over my
head... I mean if I write enough of an IPC emulation so it works today and
you change the code to add a feature I haven't put in, it's broken isn't it?
Maybe if I had unlimited time then I could write the library with every
single function it could ever need, but practise shows that's unlikely.

semctl and friends isn't the be all and end all. Wrapping it can be done,
but as the beos code is far simpler, why? Tom said he wanted a way that
"other non-unix" platforms could hook into pgsql. Having to write wrappers
for unix api's isn't it going to help that.

I dislike the wrapper approach as it provides a false level of comfort. I'm
a firm believer that when you port, the best way is to have the code for the
platform in the cleanest form possible and that's what I thought this patch
achieved.

If the criteria for getting code into your tree is that it "looks like what
we use" then I guess I can accept that, but why didn't you say sooner? I
guess when I get time I'll maybe look at it again but I have other things to
do that people seem to appreciate and want. Sorry to be negative, but
that's how I feel. :(

david