Re: BeOS and IPC - try 999

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: David Reid <david(at)jetnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Adam Val-Jean Haberlach <adam(at)be(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BeOS and IPC - try 999
Date: 2000-06-16 14:07:54
Lists: pgsql-patches

David Reid writes:

> OK, agreed (up to a point). So, you want easier maintenance? The ONLY
> way that I can think of doing it is to have the platform specific IPC
> stuff in it's own file, hence this patch.

What I was thinking about is that you essentially create a wrapper library
of SysV-like functions that call the BEOS-specific functions, like

int
semctl(int semid, int semnum, int cmd, union semun arg)
{
switch (cmd)
{
case IPC_RMID:
delete_sem(semid);
break;
}
}

int
semget(key_t key, int nsems, int semflg)
{
create_sem(...);
}

etc. That way there's essentially zero maintenance overhead for both the
Unix and the Beos factions. And you'd be doing yourself and the world a
big favour when you're trying to port the next IPC heavy program.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala