syncing mobile application with a view instead of a table

From: "Hollysugar Webmaster" <webmaster(at)hollysugar(dot)com>
To: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: syncing mobile application with a view instead of a table
Date: 2003-04-16 17:24:15
Lists: pgsql-odbc

MessageNow that we are able to successfully sync our mobile application to a table we want to sync to a view and use rules to make the actual changes to the underlying tables. The problem we are having is that without the oid and ctid column selected as part of the definition of the view the psqlodbc driver halts with the error that relation oid cannot be found. If we include the oid and ctid column in the definition of the view then the mobile application balks because it does not allow you to explicitly create an oid column. If we uncheck updateable cursors the psqlodbc driver balks because it only supports sqlsetpos(refresh) without updateable cursors.

Any suggestions?

If all else fails I figured I could create new tables with copies of the data from the tables I wanted to access with the views and then use triggers to keep the new tables and the actual storage tables synced. The problem with this solution is that I would then need to rewrite my whole web application and we are pressed for time.

Thanks.

Julie