Re: Relocation error pg_dumpall undefined symbol get_progname in 7.4.3

From: "NTPT" <ntpt(at)centrum(dot)cz>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Relocation error pg_dumpall undefined symbol get_progname in 7.4.3
Date: 2004-06-21 22:30:37
Lists: pgsql-general

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "NTPT" <ntpt(at)centrum(dot)cz>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2004 3:28 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Relocation error pg_dumpall undefined symbol
get_progname in 7.4.3

> "NTPT" <ntpt(at)centrum(dot)cz> writes:
> > I recently compile Postgresql 7.4.3 with gcc 3.4.0 on RH 7.3 .
Regression t=
> > ests work well All passed, but
> > Some binaries report a relocation error: :pg_dumpall undefined symbol
get_p=
> > rogname .=20
> > This error occures in most of the binaries. What is wrong ?
>
> They're linking to an older version of libpq.so. Check your ldconfig
> library search path.

Bingo. I was fooled by maual, saying me that :

To make the backup, you can use the pg_dumpall command from the version you
are currently running. For best results, however, try to use the pg_dumpall
command from PostgreSQL 7.4.2, since this version contains bug fixes and
improvements over older versions. While this advice might seem idiosyncratic
since you haven't installed the new version yet, it is advisable to follow
it if you plan to install the new version in parallel with the old version.
In that case you can complete the installation normally and transfer the
data ater. This will also decrease the downtime.
so I thing recomended approach should be :

gmake -C src/bin install
gmake -C src/include install
gmake -C src/interfaces installto install a new version of the tools for
"best results"

pg_dumpall to dump databse

/etc/init.d/postgresql stop

gmake ... etc