Re: Stability & Reliability

From: "Mitch Vincent" <mitch(at)venux(dot)net>
To: "Nadeem Akhtar" <nakhtar(at)mstic(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Stability & Reliability
Date: 2001-03-29 18:50:04
Lists: pgsql-general

If you're just looking for experiences with PostgreSQL, here is a few
for you.

Our web server logging machine runs a development PostgreSQL snapshot
from a few weeks ago, does an average of 40,000 inserts a day plus the
selecting and processing all the statistic queries we run on it, it's been
running solid for a few weeks (and I don't see it failing anytime soon). We
have several million records, about 4 gigs of data and it's growing pretty
fast -- this is on a pretty puny box too, I think it's a older celeron with
about 128 megs of RAM and is running FreeBSD (of course!).

Another server running 7.0.3 that gets hit sort of hard everyday (about
300 agencies with an average of 10 people per agency smacking it around all
day) -- this one stores jobs and applcants (tens of thousands of them). The
box is up and running since I turned it on the first time, 243 days ago --
the database is pretty big too but I can't tell exactly as I don't have
access to that machine from here..

IMHO PostgreSQL is as stable and reliable as anyone could want it to
be..

-Mitch
Software development :
You can have it cheap, fast or working. Choose two.