Re:

From: "Gregory Wood" <gregw(at)com-stock(dot)com>
To: "kapil c(dot) tilwani" <tilwanis(at)rediffmail(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re:
Date: 2001-05-14 14:11:07
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

> Could u just tell me if it is possible to have a Windows Client and the
Server running on Linux and having Postgres and the two communicate thru
something like the ODBC.

Yes, although it's preferable to use a native library.

> Does Postgres have anything for the advanced features like OleDB instead
of ODBC.

No OleDB, but there is a JDBC driver.

> Thirdly, are Postgres ODBC alrady installed alongwith the Postgres
installation or any specific fine-tuning is required.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here, but the ODBC driver is a
separate download which requires a few configuration variables (like where
the server is) to find and work with your server. It's not plug and play
(but then again, neither is *any* ODBC driver).

> if the answer to the first one is Yes, then the fourth question is - how
do i do that?

You set up the server on your Linux box. Make sure you run it to accept TCP
connections (using the -i switch) and that your Windows box has permissions
to access the database (via the pg_hba.conf file). You might want to test it
with some Windows tool to make sure everything is working at this stage.
Then install the ODBC driver and point it to your PostgreSQL server. At that
point you should be able to access it like any other ODBC data source.

Greg