Re: jsonpath syntax extensions

From: Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonpath syntax extensions
Date: 2020-03-04 20:18:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 04.03.2020 19:13, David Steele wrote:

> Hi Nikita,
>
> On 2/27/20 10:57 AM, Nikita Glukhov wrote:
>>
>> Attached patches implement several useful jsonpath syntax extensions.
>> I already published them two years ago in the original SQL/JSON thread,
>> but then after creation of separate threads for SQL/JSON functions and
>> JSON_TABLE I forgot about them.
>
> Are these improvements targeted at PG13 or PG14?  This seems to be a
> pretty big change for the last CF of PG13.  I know these have been
> submitted before but that was a few years ago so I think they count as
> new.

I believe that some of these improvements can get into PG13. There is no need
to review all of them, we can choose only the simplest ones.

Most of code changes in #3-#5 consist of straightforward boilerplate jsonpath
I/O code, and only changes in jsonpath_exec.c are interesting.

Only the patch #1 is mandatory, patches #3-#6 depend on it.

The patch #2 is not necessary, if jbvArray and jbvObject values would be
wrapped into jbvBinary by JsonbValueToJsonb() call in #4 and #5.

Patch #4 is the simplest one (only 20 new lines of code in jsonpath_exec.c).

Patch #6 is the most complex one, and it affects only jsonpath execution.

--
Nikita Glukhov
The Russian Postgres Company