Re: "expected authentication request from server, but

From: "Michael Paesold" <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: "Michal Jeczalik" <pgsql-hackers(at)jeczalik(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "expected authentication request from server, but
Date: 2005-09-26 08:50:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michal Jeczalik wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 09:59:53AM +0200, Micha? J?czalik wrote:
>>> Connection with psql works OK. Connecting from different (older) hosts
>>> with DBI/PHP works perfect as well. Something must have changed in
>>> recent
>>> versions of libpq and now it doesn't work. I looked into source code and
>>> found that the server's message at the very start of conversation
>>> appears
>>> to be something else than the libpq expects. But how to fix it?! Has the
>>> protocol change or what?
>>
>> Umm, I think the protocol version is up to 3 or 4 now. I think libpq
>> supports all the way back to 7.0, I don't know if anyone tests earlier
>> than that.
>>
>> If you really need this to work, I suggest pulling the libpq from that
>> release (CVS or tarball) or slightly later and installing that on the
>> new machines.
>
> Heh, that's what I'm currently doing, but it's not so easy to compile 6.4
> on a new system. configure states that the compiler cannot create
> executables, but I ripped this check out of it. Anyway, something goes
> wrong while generating the Makefile:

Try to compile 7.0 or 7.1, those versions will probably still support the
6.4 wire protocol. I am sure someone with more historical knowledge (or
reading the release notes back to 6.4) can exactly tell you the latest
version compatible with 6.4.

It was already said, but please -- upgrade. Any version before 7.2 is going
to eat your data after a certain amount of transactions.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold