Re: Running config vars

From: "Joe Conway" <joe(at)conway-family(dot)com>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jim Buttafuoco" <jim(at)buttafuoco(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Running config vars
Date: 2001-05-18 17:54:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > I will try to get this feature into 7.2, though as backend code.
>
> I've long been thinking that the SET/RESET/SHOW commands could be
> implemented as stored procedures and/or functions. That way you could
> cleanly return the settings to the client application and compose new
> values out of arbitrary expressions. If ever functions can return
> multiple rows you could also arrange for them to show all current
> settings.

I added a function to the c library that I sent to patches the other day --
called "get_var". It implements what you describe above (that is, one
variable at a time). I'd like to get this into contrib, or do the work
necessary to get it into the backend -- any interest in letting me give that
a try?

Thanks,

Joe

Attachment Content-Type Size
current_db-0.2.tgz application/x-compressed 4.2 KB