Re: [GENERAL] Queries across multiple databases  (was: SELECT from a table in another database).

From: "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: "Zak McGregor" <zak(at)mighty(dot)co(dot)za>, "Andrew Rawnsley" <ronz(at)ravensfield(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Queries across multiple databases  (was: SELECT from a table in another database).
Date: 2001-05-21 16:40:54
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

From: "Zak McGregor" <zak(at)mighty(dot)co(dot)za>

> On Mon, 21 May 2001 07:55:13 -0400
> Andrew Rawnsley <ronz(at)ravensfield(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > If I ever come up with said schema-dropping patch, and anyone else
> wants it,
> > let me know.
>
> I'd dance a happy jig ;-)
>
> I'm not sure whether it is quite the way to do it, but I'd have a better
> time with things if I could span databases in a single request. Are
> there theoretical problems with spanning databases in a single query? Is
> it a feature of bad database design & implementation?

I think the developers are planning full schema support for the relatively
near future (possibly even 7.2, but check the archives and see what's been
said). Although it looks easy to access a table from another database,
things can rapidly become more complicated as you start having to deal with
transactions, triggers, rules, constraints...

- Richard Huxton