Re: New SQL Datatype RECURRINGCHAR

From: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)barchord(dot)com>
To: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)barchord(dot)com>, "Alex Pilosov" <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New SQL Datatype RECURRINGCHAR
Date: 2001-07-08 04:03:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > This would be a potential feature of being able to insert into
> > > in general. Reversing the CREATE VIEW statement to accept
> inserts,
> > > deletes and updates.
> > Definitely not a 'potential' feature, but a existing and
documented
> one.
> > Read up on rules, especially 'ON INSERT DO INSTEAD' stuff. Its not
> > automatic, though.
>
> Trust me, I know how to go about doing those kinds of things
manually.
> I was referring to the automated reveral -- which creates this
> features in a very simple manner without any additions or changes to
> system tables -- aside from reverse rules themselves which is a more
> generic feature.

Hmm. My above statement lost all credibility in poor grammer and
speeling. Time for bed I suppose.

Anyway, the point is that some of the simple views should be straight
forward to reversing automatically if someone has the will and the
time it can be done. A while back a list of 'views which cannot be
reversed' was created and included things such as Unions,
Intersections, exclusions, aggregates, CASE statements, and a few more
items.