Re: New SQL Datatype RECURRINGCHAR

From: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)barchord(dot)com>
To: "Alex Pilosov" <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New SQL Datatype RECURRINGCHAR
Date: 2001-07-08 03:48:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > This would be a potential feature of being able to insert into
> > in general. Reversing the CREATE VIEW statement to accept
inserts,
> > deletes and updates.
> Definitely not a 'potential' feature, but a existing and documented
one.
> Read up on rules, especially 'ON INSERT DO INSTEAD' stuff. Its not
> automatic, though.

Trust me, I know how to go about doing those kinds of things manually.
I was referring to the automated reveral -- which creates this
features in a very simple manner without any additions or changes to
system tables -- aside from reverse rules themselves which is a more
generic feature.

> > If true, focus on that. Theres lots of views that cannot be
reversed
> > properly -- unions come to mind -- but perhaps this type of simple
> > join could be a first step in the package. I believe this is on
the
> > TODO list already.
> On TODO list are updatable views in SQL sense of word, [i.e.
automatic
> updateability of a view which matches certain criteria].
>
> > Different attack, but accomplishes the same thing within SQL
standards
> > as I seem to recall views are supposed to do this where
reasonable.

> > Failing that, implement this type of action the same way as
foreign
> > keys. Via the described method with automagically created views,
> > tables, etc. Though I suggest leaving it in contrib for sometime.
> > Enum functionality isn't particularly useful to the majority whose
> > applications tend to pull out the numbers for states when the
> > application is opened (with the assumption they're generally
static).

> Original suggestion was not for an enum type, it was for
_dynamically
> extensible_ data dictionary type.

ENUMs from my memory are easily redefined. And since the database
they're implemented in requires table locks for everything, they can
appear dynamic (nothing is transaction safe in that thing anyway).