Re: win32 performance - fsync question

From: "Michael Paesold" <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Subject: Re: win32 performance - fsync question
Date: 2005-02-27 13:46:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

Magnus Hagander wrote:

> [...]
[snip]

> Michael Paesold wrote:
>>The original patch did not have any documentation. Have you
>>added some? Since this has to be configured in GUC (wal_sync_method),
>>the implications should be documented somewhere, no?

>The patch just implements behaviour that was already documented (for
>unix) on a new platform (win32). The documentation in general appears >to
>have very little information on what to pick there, though ;-)

Reading your mails about the pull-the-plug tests, I see that at least with
write caching enabled, fsync is more secure on win32 than open_sync. I.e.
one should disable write caching for use with open_sync. Also open_sync
seems to perform much better. All that information would be nice to have in
the docs.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold