Handle leak on Windows when running 2 different applications each using a different Posgres DB

From: "Brian Ciemian" <bciemian(at)zixcorp(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Handle leak on Windows when running 2 different applications each using a different Posgres DB
Date: 2004-01-06 19:50:44
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I am running PostgreSQL 7.3

I have 2 applications, first one is a servlet running under Tomcat which
uses the Postgres JDBC driver to access a PosgreSQL db.

This application runs fine and dandy all by itself and has no handle leak.

I have a second application that is written in C++ and uses the PostgresODBC
driver to access a Postgres db.

If I install this program and run it on the same box as the first
application and it is active accessing its db it causes the first
application to leak handles (postgres.exe).

Now both are accessing different databases, and I have checked the
postgresq.log and verified that the postgres.exe process that is growing is
only running SQL statements that the first application uses and not the SQL
statements of the C++ program.

I looked at the handles that are left around and they are file handles to
files in the pgdata directory.

Any ideas on how/why the two applications/Databases are interfering with
each other?

Thanks
Brian Ciemian
Zix Corp.