Re: Compilation problems

From: "Diego" <diegoman(at)usuarios(dot)retecal(dot)es>
To: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compilation problems
Date: 2004-03-21 21:14:46
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

Hi again, Raphaël.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Raphaël Enrici" <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: "Diego" <diegoman(at)usuarios(dot)retecal(dot)es>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>; <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>;
"Adam H.Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2004 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Compilation problems

> Hi Diego,
>
> Diego wrote:
>

> >Hi, Raphaël. At last I've been able to compile pgadmin using your patch,
> >thank you.
> >
> You're welcome.
>
> > In my first attempt, I got an undefined reference to PQgetssl
> >(the same error that Dirk Dil reports on the thread you pointed), but I
> >solved it recompiling Postgresql with ssl support.
> >

> What is strange here is that the SSL build should not be attempted if
> libpq does not handle SSL inside...
>
> >Just one more comment: Though the --enable-static option is selected, the
> >binary you get is still using shared libraries. The makefile invokes
> >"-lcrypt -lssl -lcrypto", which, as far as I know, make gcc use shared
> >libraries when "--static" option is not used. Is this a security issue?
> >
> Which args did you pass to configure exactly ?
> Don't know if it's a side effect or a real will. The fact is that it did
> exactly what I wanted for my Debian purposes: link statically wx and the
> rest in shared mode...

The args I passed to the script were the ones that the compilation
instructions on the web suggest: --enable-static and --enable-debug

> >The compilation went fine. Did I something wrong or it's OK to do
> >that?
> >

> That's for sure not the best way to do this, but you got what you wanted
> isn't it ? ;)

I'll be able to check it tomorrow, when I'll use Pgadmin intensively, but
yes, apparently it works ;)

> I'm CCing that mail to Adam H. Pendleton who is THE configure man for
> pgAdmin3... To me there are numerous issues described here which should
> be taken in consideration.
>
> Adam: the patch I sent to the list in the previous mail is simply a
> backport of what we do in 1.1.0 cvs branch. I also added a correction
> you did to src/Makefile.am to solve the SSL build issue (if you
> remember, it was just the '-I $(WX_HOME)' stuff which was giving a -I
> -DSSL while in the build process). I had no time to overlook what was
> going on exactly, but may be it would be interesting to investigate...
>
> Diego, you didn't answer concerning the OS you try to build on... Some
> kind of secret ? :)

Sorry, I forgot to answer this question, but I wrote it on my first message
here ;) My first attempt was on a Debian Woody, but because I couldn't
compile there and I had an old Postgresql version (7.1.something), I tried
it on a Mandrake 9.1 that I have on my secondary disk with Postgresql 7.4. I
got the same "undefined reference" errors on both. Finally I got it compiled
on Mandrake, using your patch.

> We stay in touch, it may be a good thing that you send your
> config.log.gz to pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org

Ok, I'll send the log and a description of my problems.

> Regards,
> Raphaël

Regards,
Diego