Re: Japanese Character Support

From: Björn Metzdorf <bm(at)turtle-entertainment(dot)de>
To: "Tom Haddon" <tom(at)betterhealthfoundation(dot)org>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Japanese Character Support
Date: 2003-06-27 19:10:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

> I'd like to be able to support both Japanese and English character
> sets in the same database if possible. First off, is this possible,
> or are there some restrictions (such as specific tables need to have
> specific character sets only).
>
> I think this is a case of Multi-Byte Support. If this is the case, how
> do I determine if my web-host's database was compiled with support for
> that, and if it wasn't is there any way around it, besides
> reinstalling the database?

what you need is Unicode-support in your database and application (often
referred to as UTF-8).

Have a look at

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=1&file=multibyte.ht
ml

Postgresql can automagically convert between different encodings, this way
your application does not have to be modified too heavily.

Regards,
Bjoern