Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group

From: "Igor Georgiev" <gory(at)alphasoft-bg(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Date: 2002-12-14 15:31:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Devrim GэNDэZ" <devrim(at)tr(dot)net>
To: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2002 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group
> Also, I have something to say about win32 port.
>
> I'm a Linux user. I'm happy that PostgreSQL does not have win32 version.
> If someone wants to use a real database server, then they should install
> Linux (or *bsd,etc). This is what Oracle offers,too. Native Windows
> support will cause some problems; such as some dummy windows users will
> begin using it. I do not believe that PostgreSQL needs native windowz
> support.

Ooops.
I'm a Linux user too, but i have a SCO Openserver, UnixWare, Netware and lot
of windows boxes in my office.
Also I have Informix, Sybase ... etc.
This isn't for my entertainment.
Our customers need to "use a real database server".
But what about small business?
A lot of our small customers can't spent money for dedicated linux box :(((

I spent 2 month in trying open source databases (PostgreSQL, SAP DB,
Interbase/Firebird)
finaly i choose PostgreSQL. Now we port one of our products from Sybase SQL
Anywhere to PostgreSQL.

We have more than 100 customers with small networks (2-10). Most of them
cant't aford dedicated linux box.
Another situation DHL Bulgaria and TNT Worldwide Express Bulgaria are our
customers too.
In HQ they choose windows nt (i don't comment how "smart" is this decision),
pay a lot of money to mr.Gates and now what - we say PostgreSQL is great ,
( and i have personal contacts with their sysadmins i don't believe they are
"dummy windows users")

So if you don't want windows support just don't use it!!!!!