R: R: R: R: R: BUG #6342: libpq blocks forever in "poll" function

From: "Andrea Grassi" <andreagrassi(at)sogeasoft(dot)com>
To: "'Craig Ringer'" <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>, "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <harrywr2(at)comcast(dot)net>, "'Pg Bugs'" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'Alvaro Herrera'" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: R: R: R: R: R: BUG #6342: libpq blocks forever in "poll" function
Date: 2011-12-21 11:46:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Then I meet my colleague who is the systems engineer that takes care of the
machine and I explain your hints (suggested by Craig Ringer) about how
detect and log kernel issues.
If it can be useful, the content of file /proc/$pid/wchan in the moment of
block is "_stext".

In the meantime, to be sure that it could not been a libpq bug, I ask you
one thing.
In internet I searched for detailed specifications of poll/select system
functions but I didn't understand one thing, that is which one of the 2
statement is true:
1) poll/select wait only for FUTURE modifications of ready-read state of
sockets
2) poll/select check if there is something to read at the moment of the call
and otherwise wait for FUTURE modifications of ready-read state

Because if it was true the first statement, it could be that the answer of
the server arrives between the request and the call of poll (this time is
surely very short but however strictly greater than 0 and in this interval
the server answer could arrive).
Theoretical sequence:
1) Client request to server
2) Server answer to client
3) client wait calling poll
In this case client and server go in a sort of deadlock because server and
client wait each other for the other and could be a libpq bug.

What do you think about ? This scenario could be possible or the true
statement is the second ?

Regard, Andrea