Case folding in DatabaseMetaData

From: Benoit Menendez <benoitm(at)pacbell(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Case folding in DatabaseMetaData
Date: 2002-02-27 20:14:11
Lists: pgsql-jdbc pgsql-odbc

Since PostgreSQL folds all table and column names (to lowercase), shouldn't the DatabaseMetaData calls do the same:

for example:

create table FOO ...

DatabaseMetaData.getColumns(null, null, "FOO", "%") returns nothing since FOO has been folded to lowercase

The same goes with other DatabaseMetaData taking table or column names (or patterns)...

A fix would be to use the case insensitive like operator when querying system tables...

This applies to both ODBC and JDBC as far as I can tell...

I am using the latest stable versions of 7.2 and corresponding ODBC and JDBC drivers...

Thanks for your comments on the subject...

Benoit