Re: Moving a database-sos

From: "Reshat Sabiq" <sabiq(at)purdue(dot)edu>
To: "'PGSQL Novice List'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Moving a database-sos
Date: 2002-12-25 06:51:58
Lists: pgsql-novice

I’m having a problem restoring the DB on the remote server. The best
luck I had was with
psql dbName < filename
&
psql myDB
\i filename

However, in both cases I'm getting the following error for all data
entering statements (all of which appear to be based on COPY ...):
psql:trial:LineNumberHere: invalid command \N

There are indeed some \N denoting NULL; however, even when there are no
NULL values in a table the statements always fail too.

So I ended up with tables, indexes, and constraints, but w/o any data,
and I don't know what to do about it. I could put together manually a
long list of SQL statements, but that's not a real solution when there
is a tool available.

P.S. pg_restore command failed with errors like:
pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a valid archive
pg_restore: [tar archiver] could not find header for file toc.dat in tar
archive

P.S. Notes:
Source DB is 7.3 and unicode, while destination is 7.2.3 and latin1.
Could affect anything? If it could, I'd have to dig for changes in the
destination.
P.P.S. Example of a COPY statement:
COPY region (id, name) FROM stdin;
1 Mid-West