CORBA object lifetime problems

From: "Taral" <taral(at)cyberjunkie(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: CORBA object lifetime problems
Date: 1998-11-15 16:30:24
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

There's a problem with implementing CORBA... it was brought up in some docs
I read, but I didn't realize until now that it was important.

Servant objects will be created on the server side in response to queries
from the clients. When should these objects be disposed of? A dispose()
method is good, but what if the client just disappears? We cannot rely on
the proper behavior of the client. (Who knows with the Internet as
unreliable as it is? :)

The best I've thought of so far is to have a thread in the server clean up
old queries that are left behind by accident (shouldn't be too often), and
provide keepalive() and dispose() methods... But how long an interval should
we use?

Also, do we provide query regeneration? Maybe a rerun() on the query result
object? Of course, that requires that we keep the query on the server
side...

Or am I the only one left working on this because the 900+ page CORBA spec
scared everyone else off? *grin*

Taral