Re: PREPARE and stuff

From: "Andreas Kostyrka" <andreas(at)kostyrka(dot)org>
To: PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PREPARE and stuff
Date: 2007-06-23 21:55:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

Well, that's not completely trivial => the plan might depend upon the concrete value of $1,$2 and $3.

Andreas

-- Ursprüngl. Mitteil. --
Betreff: [PERFORM] PREPARE and stuff
Von: PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
Datum: 23.06.2007 21:31

Suppose a web application with persistent database connections.
I have some queries which take longer to plan than to execute !

I with there was a way to issue a PREPARE (like "PERSISTENT PREPARE").
Now all Postgres connections would know that prepared statement foo( $1,
$2, $3 ) corresponds to some SQL query, but it wouldn't plan it yet. Just
like a SQL function.
When invoking EXECUTE foo( 1,2,3 ) on any given connection the statement
would get prepared and planned. Then on subsequent invocations I'd just
get the previously prepared plan.

Is this planned ?

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster