Re: PREPARE and stuff

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "PFC" <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PREPARE and stuff
Date: 2007-06-23 22:02:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

"PFC" <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com> writes:

> Suppose a web application with persistent database connections.
> I have some queries which take longer to plan than to execute !

There have periodically been discussions about a shared plan cache but
generally the feeling is that it would do more harm than good and there are no
plans to implement anything like that.

For a web application though you would expect to be executing the same queries
over and over again since you would be executing the same pages over and over
again. So just a regular prepared query ought to good for your needs.

You do not want to be reconnecting to the database for each page fetch.
Replanning queries is the least of the problems with that approach.

--
Gregory Stark