JDBC question for PG 8.3.9

From: Dave Crooke <dcrooke(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: JDBC question for PG 8.3.9
Date: 2010-04-14 20:49:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi foilks

I am using PG 8.3 from Java. I am considering a performance tweak which will
involve holding about 150 java.sql.PreparedStatment objects open against a
single PGSQL connection. Is this safe?

I know that MySQL does not support prepared statements *per se*, and so
their implementation of PreparedStatement is nothing more than some
client-side convenience code that knows how to escape and format constants
for you. Is this the case for PG, or does the PG JDBC driver do the real
thing? I'm assuming if it's just a client side constant escaper that there
won't be an issue.

Cheers
Dave