Re: beta testing version

From: teg(at)redhat(dot)com (Trond Eivind =?iso-8859-1?q?Glomsr=d8d?=)
To: "PostgreSQL Development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-12-03 21:24:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Gary MacDougall" <gary(at)freeportweb(dot)com> writes:

> I think this trend is MUCH bigger than what Postgres, Inc. is
> doing... its happening all over the comminity. Heck take a look
> around... Jabber, Postgres, Red Hat, SuSe, Storm etc. etc. these
> companies are making good money off a business plan that was basically
> "hey, lets take some of that open source and make a real product out
> of it...".

I doubt many of these "make good money". We're almost breaking even,
which is probably the best among these.

Note also that some companies contribute engineering resources into
core free software components, like gcc, gdb, the linux kernel, glibc,
gnome, gtk+, rpm, apache, XFree, KDE - AFAIK, Red Hat and SuSE are by
far the two doing this the most.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.