Re: locale & glibc 2.2.2

From: teg(at)redhat(dot)com (Trond Eivind =?iso-8859-1?q?Glomsr=F8d?=)
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Pimenov Yuri <proc(at)internet2(dot)ru>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: locale & glibc 2.2.2
Date: 2001-04-19 18:26:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:

> Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> > > Which case-sensitivity issue? The one about table and column names? Or
> > > a different one? (sitting confused in Pisgah Forest)
>
> > I remember there were some issues about someone claiming glibc was broken
> > (with LANG set to anything but C/POSIX, because it will sort this way
>
> Oh, ok. That goes as far back as glibc 2.1, and first reared its head
> with Red Hat 6.1. While I've not tested it, I had heard that glibc
> 2.2.2 'fixed' this

Of course not, it's not a bug - if this is a problem, it's a bug in
Postgresql:

[teg(at)halden teg]$ cat foo2.txt
Ad
ae
ac
[teg(at)halden teg]$ sort foo2.txt
ac
Ad
ae
[teg(at)halden teg]$

> The initscript now explicitly sets locale to C/POSIX
> for the initdb and the postmaster startup for the RPM, as the locale
> setting can cause other problems with indexes and the LIKE
> optimization

I built it into our trees with a release number < 1 until I've
confirmed that this doesn't break other languages. Sorting in the "C"
order isn't acceptable for non-English languages as the order is wrong.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.