Re: Postgresql 7.0 JDBC exceptions - broken connecti ons ?

From: Gunnar R|nning <gunnar(at)candleweb(dot)no>
To: Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
Cc: "'Gunnar R|nning'" <gunnar(at)candleweb(dot)no>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, "PostgreSQL Developers List (E-mail)" <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql 7.0 JDBC exceptions - broken connecti ons ?
Date: 2000-05-26 09:36:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk> writes:

> PM: How long is it before the problem starts? I'm wondering if the
> problem is because the backend is sitting there for a long period.

The problem started after the connections had been for about 16 hours or
so. So this could be the problem.

However yesterday I restarted my database with some new options to do more
logging and also print some debug information. I haven't seen any of the
exceptions I reported yesterday in the past 20 hours after the restart.

> Unknown Response Type u
>
> PM: Does anyone [on Hackers] know what the u code is for? The fact it's
> in lower case tells me that the protocol/connection got broken somehow.

I got a lot of these errors and the response type varied between different
characters, so your theory seems plausible.

Regards,

Gunnar