Re: [GENERAL] RE: Help with installing 6.5.3 on RedHat6.1 - specifying template

From: Chris Jones <cjones(at)rightnowtech(dot)com>
To: Chris Carbaugh <cjtech(at)blazenet(dot)net>
Cc: pg-gen <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] RE: Help with installing 6.5.3 on RedHat6.1 - specifying template
Date: 2000-03-06 17:15:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris Carbaugh <cjtech(at)blazenet(dot)net> writes:

> The system is a AMD K6-2/400 running RedHat6.0 with a VMWare virtual
> machine running RedHat6.1 (I am trying to install under 6.1 in the
> virtual machine).

First, try running "uname -a" in the virtual machine, and then run it
out of the virtual machine. Compare the outputs of the two. This is
what configure uses to identify what sort of host you're installing it
on, so I'd guess it's saying something funny.

> When I run ./configure with no options I get the message:
>
> cheching host system type... configure: error: can not guess host
> type:
> you must specify one

I think it's not asking for a template; it's asking for a GNU
configure-style system type, which should look something like
"i386-pc-linux-gnulibc6". If you run "./configure | head" out of the
VM, it'll tell you what the host system type is there, and you can
probably use the same string within the VM.

Chris

--
Chris Jones