Re: [JDBC] Re: PostgreSQL and PHP persistent connections

From: Gunnar R|nning <gunnar(at)candleweb(dot)no>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Gunnar R|nning" <gunnar(at)candleweb(dot)no>, Peter Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>, "Thies C(dot) Arntzen" <thies(at)digicol(dot)de>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Re: PostgreSQL and PHP persistent connections
Date: 2001-03-20 11:59:21
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-jdbc

> > Well, I think most connection pools people use are database independent -
> > when it comes to JDBC this is the case at least.
>
> So what platform-indendent method do they use to see that the passed
> connection doesn't have an open transaction or some other setting?

None - it is application responsibility to not mess around with the
connections. I usually use the Command pattern from the GoF book to do my
database access. This ensures me that I have one pluggable executor that
can do all the database specific stuff, like proper pre command exec
actions, post command exec actions, exeception handling(Error codes would
be very welcome in pgsql).

Cheers,

Gunnar