Re: [ANN] pg.el v0.2 -- Emacs Lisp interface to PostgreSQL

From: Eric Marsden <emarsden(at)mail(dot)dotcom(dot)fr>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ANN] pg.el v0.2 -- Emacs Lisp interface to PostgreSQL
Date: 1999-07-21 14:32:03
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

tl> 1) it looks lisp-y, but I didn't look very closely; how much
tl> does this code resemble that for other lisp packages such as
tl> Allegro?

I assume you mean other "lisp implementations such as Allegro Common
Lisp"? The answer is that I have also written a Common Lisp version
(actually I wrote the CL version first), and a Scheme version
(Scheme is another language in the Lisp family), but given that there
is no standard interface to sockets in either Common Lisp or Scheme,
the code is implementation-specific.

tl> 2) you are distributing it under GPL. No problem with that, but
tl> if you were amenable to distributing under a BSD-style license
tl> we could include it in the main Postgres distribution. Is that a
tl> possibility? It would be nice to have the foundation for another
tl> language interface for folks to work with.

this may be a little tricky. pg.el will probably be distributed with
Emacs in the future, and thus I will have to assign copyright to the
FSF. I will talk with rms about that. Does that mean that even for
client code which is intended to run completely independently from the
backend, it is not possible to mix BSD and GNU GPL code? The Common
Lisp and Scheme implementations, however, are under GNU LGPL, and I
have no problem releasing them under another licence.

tl> Thanks again for the code. If the url you published is a good
tl> long-term reference, then I'll add your introductory mail
tl> message to the docs.

give me a few days and I'll write a special page for it. Thanks.

--
Eric Marsden
It's elephants all the way down