Re: incremental dumps

From: hamann(dot)w(at)t-online(dot)de
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: incremental dumps
Date: 2013-08-02 16:55:03
Lists: pgsql-general

>> On 08/01/2013 02:59 AM, hamann(dot)w(at)t-online(dot)de wrote:
>> >
>> > However, the diff files seem to be considerably larger than one would expect.
>> > One obvious part of the problem is the fact that diff shows old and new text,
>>
>> You could try using
>> diff --suppress-common-lines -ed
>> which in my experience creates the smallest diffs (actually ed scripts).
>> Apply them with
>> patch -e
>>
>> Martin

Hi Martin,

thanks for the hint - this is probably one of the things to do.
I have something else in mind, but at present I just suspect that this might happen:
when I modify data and select _without an ordering_, I am pretty sure to get the data
in a different sequence than before. So I wonder whethet forcing the dump to honor
a particular ordering (if that is at all possible) would also reduce the size of dumps ... or the
time diff takes to produce them

Regards
Wolfgang Hamann