Re: what Linux to run

From: hamann(dot)w(at)t-online(dot)de
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: what Linux to run
Date: 2012-02-28 20:36:23
Lists: pgsql-general

>> If we move to Linux, what is the preferred Linux for running Postgres
>> on. This machine would be dedicated to the database only.=20
>>
>> I'd like a recommendation for both a GUI hosted version and a non-GUI
>> version. I haven't used Linux in the past but did spend several year s
>> in a mixed Unix and IBM mainframe environment at the console level.
>> =20

Hi,

one thing you might want to consider is system lifetime: some distro may be set up so that you
more or less have to reinstall within 2 years, if you plan to use update service - others may be
longer.
Now, fast development is great AND allows you to change to better hardware easily.
It does however mean that you might get surprised with a different postgres version at times
you dont really like it.
If you plan to install from source, this would not be of any concern

regards
Wolfgang Hamann