Re: About referential integrity.

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: BOURIAUD <david(dot)bouriaud(at)ac-rouen(dot)fr>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: About referential integrity.
Date: 2002-02-25 17:21:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

David,

> Anyway, I don't understand why when tables are built with this
> referential
> integrity the back-end doesn't fullfill any request posted on those
> tables.

Short answer: Because the international specifications for relational
databases, SQL-92 and/or SQL-99, do not work that way.

Longer Answer: You can use:

SELECT * FROM t1 NATURAL JOIN t2;

... to get the functionality you are talking about (provided that the
foriegn key reference has the same name in both tables).

-Josh