Re: unrecognized language 'plpgsql'

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Markus Wagner <wagner(at)imsd(dot)uni-mainz(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unrecognized language 'plpgsql'
Date: 2001-06-20 14:51:26
Lists: pgsql-sql

Mr. Wagner,

> when creating a function I get the error message 'unrecognized
> language'.
> What's this? I need a powerful language which can retrieve many
> things
> (username, tables, attributes, etc.).
> Isn't plpgsql the best choice? Why this message and where can I find
> more documentation on plpgsql?

Yes. Roberto Mello has excellent extended docs for PL/pgSQL:
http://www.brasileiro.net/postgres/plpgsql/

Your issue is that PL/pgSQL has not yet been created in the database you
are using as an available function language. Go to the regular online
user docs and look up "CREATE LANGUAGE" for instructions on how to do
this.

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533