Re: not null - trivial, unexpected behavior

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <john(at)august(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: not null - trivial, unexpected behavior
Date: 2001-06-16 22:23:23
Lists: pgsql-sql

Peter,

> Correction: Each Boolean expression can have one of *three* values:
> true,
> false, unknown (null). So those two sets will not be "complimentary"
> in
> the traditional sense because both expressions _should_ (modulo the
> information I pointed you to) return "unknown".

I agree pretty strongly with Peter here ... the " = NULL " functionality
should go. I've already had to re-examine some of my functions for
unexpected results due to = NULL possibly evaluating to TRUE, an outcome
for which I did not plan.

Plus it leads those new to SQL92 into trouble, as it did with John :-)

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533